We learned a lot in the process, so I thought I’d share it with you.
The specifics will depend on your data collection and usage practices, but at minimum, you’ll need to disclose:
- What types of information you collect
- What you do with this information
- How the information is stored
- How you keep information secure
- How long the information is retained
- Which third-party apps or services have access to information you collect
- Whether or not you sell or exchange information for any reason
- How people can contact you if they have questions or concerns about your data policies, or if they want their information removed—it’s best to provide an email address, mailing address, and phone number
Your CMS or ecommerce platform may have better options tailored for your website’s exact functionality. Here are some popular providers’ templates and data collection guides:
Again, these tools can get you started, and for some businesses, they’re a complete solution. However, your situation may call for something more comprehensive, and that may require outside help.
Are you saying I need an attorney?
I’m not a lawyer, but… you might.